Saturday, February 23, 2008

Of the Communion of Saints, XXVI:b

All saints, that are united to Jesus Christ their Head, by His Spirit, and by faith, have fellowship with Him in His grace, sufferings, death, resurrection, and glory: and, being united to one another in love, they have communion in each other's gifts and graces, and are obliged to the performance of such duties, public and private, as do conduce to their mutual good, both in the inward and outward man.

Christians are united to Christ and to each other by the Holy Spirit. According to the Scriptures, we are indwelt by the Spirit of Christ, who applies the graces of redemption in our lives and unites us to him. See 1 Corinthians 2:12-16, 3: 16-17 and Romans 8:9-11.

Christians also enjoy unity and communion by faith, as Paul states in Galatians 2:20--"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself up for me."

We also "have fellowship with Him in His graces, sufferings, death, resurrection, and glory," again as stated in the Galatians verse cited above as well as in passages such as Philippians 3:7-15.

Tomorrow: More on the bond between believers in Christ.

No comments: