Tuesday, April 29, 2008

David Dickson, 1583-1662

David Dickson was another of the great Scots. Educated at Glasgow, he accepted a pastoral position in Irvine for over twenty years and was very active in the affairs of the Scottish church during the turbulent times leading up to the English Civil War. He held academic appointments at Glasgow and Edinburgh. In his final illness, he observed, "I have taken all my good deeds, and all my bad deeds, and cast them through each other in a heap before the Lord, and fled from both, and betaken myself to the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him I have sweet peace."

There are few better summaries of the Puritan approach to Christianity.

This short series of Puritan biographical vignettes has come to its conclusion. It had been my intention to start blogging through one of the standard histories of the Christian church, a project I began in analog form some years ago. However, this effort will be delayed while I try to secure permission from the publisher. In its place, I'd like to blog through Henry Scougal's The Life of God in the Soul of Man, a Puritan devotional work that has been tremendously influential in the lives of some of the great Christians of the past, including one of my personal heroes, George Whitfield. God willing, that project will commence tomorrow.

No comments: