Sunday, June 8, 2008

Devotion to God Is Not a Chore...

...for the one who possesses authentic love for God. The man who is truly in love delights to spend his time with his beloved and will do all things necessary to that end. The man in love will go to great lengths to please the one he loves--just think how some (admittedly, not all) husbands go well out of their way to compose delightful surprises for their wives on significant dates such as anniversaries. How much more does the soul enraptured by God delight in the exercises of worship, prayer, devotion? How jealously does he guard the time set aside for these things, and how impatiently he counts the minutes until the next time of sweetness!

To my shame, I acknowledge that I am a very long way from this. Some of it may stem from my own rather dispassionate nature. But how I long to be filled with a passion for God.

No comments: