Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Contrast of Wisdoms

God's wisdom: I will take the most hideous, humiliating, and vile instrument of torture and death man has ever invented and turn it into the means by which you and I are reconciled. Proclaim this to the nations.

Man's wisdom: That's primitive and obscene! Rather, I must strive to find my inner goodness and do what I know is right. Follow the rules, seek the good as I define the good, earn my place in heaven.

God's wisdom: The "wisdom" of man is foolishness.

Man's wisdom: You can't be serious. The "wisdom" of God is a stumbling block and folly.

God's wisdom: I will use the despised things, the weak things, the discounted and dismissed things of the world to demonstrate my power. Whatever good you have comes from me.

Man's wisdom: Ugh. All that's beneath me. I want the credit for my goodness.

God's wisdom: None of you has understood. You believe that you have understood everything when in fact you understand nothing. The truth has not even entered your mind.

Man's wisdom: Sez you.

God's wisdom: Sez me.

No comments: