Thursday, April 16, 2009

A New Series: Jesus and Politics

Over the next several weeks I plan to write on the subject of politics from what I believe is a biblical perspective. Clearly it is impossible to cover the entire scope of politics and church-state relations here. However, I will look closely at what the Bible and particularly Jesus have to say on the subject, and spend some time identifying important Christian contributions to political thought. I’ll ask and try to answer the question whether the United States is or ever was a Christian nation. I’ll consider some contemporary Christian criticism of standard political philosophies, drawing upon the work of J. Budzieszewski, a UT-Austin professor of philosophy and government; the book he edited entitled Evangelicals in the Public Square will be a major source. And I’ll examine the 2008 document called “An Evangelical Manifesto.”

I am fully aware this is a contentious subject but I am confident it can be discussed in a manner befitting Christ’s people to the glory of God. I will endeavor to maintain an atmosphere of balance—if I am successful, you will not know for sure my political persuasion or preferences.

We'll start tomorrow with a definition of politics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

We know you are from Maryland. The odds that you are liberal is quite high.

-- me

Ken Abbott said...

Well, you'll just have to keep reading. Perhaps you'll find out.